It is really important to us at Hawksmoor that our restaurants are able to create special moments not only for the people who come and eat with us, but also for the communities we live and work in and those around the world who we’re able to support in line with our goals to feed people well; be part of something bigger; and grow with integrity.
We are extremely proud to be a certified B Corp. B Corporations are leaders in the global movement for an inclusive, equitable, and regenerative economy. Unlike other certifications for businesses, B Corp is unique in that it measures a company’s entire social and environmental impact.
Four other accolades we’re particularly proud of are having over ten consecutive years voted in the Best Companies awards, being awarded the maximum 3* rating for twelve years by the Sustainable Restaurant Association, being given an award by Action Against Hunger for passing £1million in fundraising and donations in 2017 (and we’re about to cross the £2m mark with our annual Action Against Hunger auction dinner) and being given the Marco Longer Award for Changing Lives for supporting.
We work with three types of charity partners – international, national and local and each area plays a specific and vital role.
Our international partners – Action Against Hunger and the One Water Foundation work tirelessly to provide nutrition and clean water to people in critically challenging circumstances – providing a basic human need and right.
Our national partners – Magic Breakfast – provide meals for children to feed their brains and support their learning – Kelly’s Cause – offer mental Health First Aid training to the hospitality industry – Hospitality Action – gives vital assistance to people working in our sector.
Our local partners provide a range of support to causes that transform lives in the communities we’re based in:
50p from every Shaky Pete cocktail and Ambassador’s Reception pudding is donated by Hawksmoor to our charity partners. We raise and donate additional funds via dedicated campaigns, on-menu donations and one-off events.
Hawksmoor is now a carbon neutral restaurant group. We have become carbon neutral by offsetting all our emissions scope 1, 2 and 3 with carbon credits funding the following projects:
- Biogas in Kenya
- Fair-trade cookstoves
- Cleaner, safer water in Cambodia
- Myanmar clean stoves
- Nicaragua High Impact Reforestation Programme
- Peruvian Amazon Brazil Nut Concessions
While this is an achievement we’re proud of, this is just the beginning. We have begun to implement a detailed, science-based plan to get us to Net Zero by 2030 with some of the biggest impact changes already underway:
- In October 2021 we moved all of our UK restaurants to renewable electricity.
- In November 2021 we held on-site ‘Dr Bike’ sessions for staff in Edinburgh and London to get bikes safe for winter travel and have been working on making it easier to cycle to work.
- Our Holm Oak charcoal is approved by Defra for use in Smoke Control Areas.
- We’re rolling out LED lighting across all restaurants over the next two years – you can already see the results in NYC, Borough, Edinburgh, Spitalfields, Wood Wharf and some of Knightsbridge.
- We’ve stepped up waste and recycling plans to ensure that all of our food waste is sent for anaerobic digestion and turned into bio gas and we’ll be running a project to cut down all waste and food waste from February.
- Our NYC beef supply is genuinely game-changing for the restaurant scene – pasture-reared to incredibly high animal welfare standards without the use of hormones or other growth promoters with all cattle raised and finished by ranchers on family-run farms.
- All our beef in the UK comes from cattle who have led a stress-free life and are fed on a foraged natural diet of grass and hay.
- 150 of our managers have been given sustainability and carbon literacy training.
- All of our beef farms in the UK are undergoing carbon foot-printing within the next two years.
We’ll continue to update you on our progress as we know that for some of you our sustainability work is a big part of why you come to Hawksmoor; we also know that for some of you it isn’t – you come for the steaks and the experience. Whatever your view we hope you feel that we are doing whatever we can to make sure Hawksmoor makes a positive impact in the world.
Careers with Hawksmoor are among the best – generous pay and benefits, award-winning restaurants and bars, unrivalled career opportunities and some of the happiest people in the business (as voted by the people who work here). We have been recognised as one of the top companies to work for in the UK by Best Companies every year for over a decade.
- Self-isolation support – JRS equivalent pay (not just Statutory Sick Pay) if you need to self-isolate due to Covid
- Discounted health and fitness benefits
- Additional paid maternity and paternity leave to help you care for new additions to your family
- Income protection insurance for critical illness and death benefit
- Free meals when you’re at work
- 50% off food in our restaurants for you and your loved ones
- An optional paid day each year to use for volunteering
- Exclusive savings on travel, shopping, restaurants, and more
- 28 days’ holiday that include service charge
- A restaurant welfare budget is allocated for healthy snacks, drinks and support during our busiest times of the year
- Huge investment in training and development with qualifications across Wine, H&S, Food Safety, HR and a five-stage management development programme, run in partnership with the Watershed Management School
- Access to counselling, remote GP/physio services, legal advice and more
We strive to be a company that is inclusive in terms of age, gender, identity, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, and to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can be happy at work.
To view our Gender Pay Gap Statement, please click here.